Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Sweatin' the shot

Talk about pressure.

Not the usual pressure of “getting the shot,” but as I looked to my right and left while on assignment recently, there were literally dozens and dozens of people with cameras and smartphones trained upon the drama unfolding before us.

Some of these folks weren’t playing by the rules, either. Yellow tape? You’d think that was a universally understood demarcation, but nooooooo. On my left were about 6 people who casually slipped under the tape and moved closer to the action. Right in front of me. Argh. How do you politely ask people to move out of your way as you’re trying to capture the drama of the SWAT team arresting a subject? How do you explain to your boss that you couldn’t get the shot because people weren’t abiding by the rules?

This time, I didn’t have to. Just as I was thinking about letting loose an unladylike remark, a deputy saved me by herding them back behind the lines.

Whew.

--Tiffany Tompkins-Condie

No comments:

Post a Comment