Tuesday, March 6, 2012

How fun is my job?


How fun is my job?
Sometimes, you can't top it.
When education reporter Christine Hawes told me there was going to be a pep rally for EdVantage Educator of the Year, Palm View Elementary school teacher Dameon Headings, I wasn't having high hopes of a great photo. I was thinking echoing, loud, dark gymnasium with teeth-rattling cheers of students.
Instead, I got adorable kids seated quietly, dancing to pop music and all excited about surprising their teacher.
The teachers were just as happy, dancing in a conga line and getting into the spirit of celebration.
"He's coming!" yelled a teacher on lookout duty.
After the room hushed to silence, principal Frank Pistella opened the door for Dameon Headings, who timidly leaned into the darkened room as the light from outside lit his face which gradually transitioned into a joyful smile.
Headings was led to the stage where he was positioned in an easy chair as children sang and danced around him.
How fun is my job?
Sometimes, it's the best.
--Tiffany Tompkins-Condie


No comments:

Post a Comment